Sunday, September 18, 2011

Augusta 70.3 Musings

Augusta…I’ll experience a couple firsts this weekend.  My first Ironman 70.3 and my first relay.  I’d never considered a relay before but it is a great way to participate and get a feel for the event.  I can focus on the area in which I’m experienced and cheer my teammates on as they complete the swim and bike segments.  I’ve worked hard for this and feel good mentally and physically going into the weekend.  By the way, did I mention how excited I am to be surrounded by and included in the arena with athletes of this caliber?  It is so motivating. I’ve actually begun thinking of myself not just as an athlete but a triathlete. I know if I keep working hard my skillset will develop over time and before I know it, I’ll be completing indoor and open lake sprints with no problem.

It’s Sunday night and I am tired. So many things are going through my mind. What to take, when to pack, what to wear, what to eat, how to balance my regular responsibilities while preparing for Augusta. How to embrace the excitement and enjoy the moment while keeping focused on my upcoming performance.  This is such a time of learning and stepping out of my comfort zone.  In a weird way, I’m starting to enjoy it. Augusta here we come.

No comments:

Post a Comment