Sunday, April 22, 2012

Cycle Irongirl Sprint Triathlon course

Irongirl is about 4 weeks out and I am nervous.  Working on the mental aspects of the swim and now gearing up for the ride. Fortunately, there is time for a few practice rides. This was my first time riding the Lake Lanier course.  My longest ride to date is 23 miles. The Irongirl course is 19 miles.  So, in theory, I shouldn’t have a problem.  My friend, Debbie, came along for practice.  We met the TNT group, received instructions and our maps, and heading out.  This was pretty cool. We started in the transition area, down the hill and to the right heading out.  I knew there would be hills and was all set to practice shifting and attacking.  The first hill I remember is New Bethany Church. Sheesh, memories of my first tri and the hybrid bike returned. I pushed that bike up the hill but that wouldn’t be the case with my Specialized road bike.  I successfully maneuvered the gears and made it up the hill. 

There were a few points during the route that REALLY stand out. Going down the Jimmy Dodd hill. I had to have reached a speed of a gazillion mph…well maybe not that fast but it felt like it.  Probably was closer to 30 mph. I have to check my Garmin.  Luckily there was a guy in front of me. I told myself…do what he’s doing. Middle of the road [check], hold the handle bars [check], yell weee [check], and of course smile since this was kind of fun. 

The next memorable section was the hill after Jimmy Dodd, steep uphill that I wasn’t prepared for.  I attempted to ride it but ended up walking part of it. I think Debbie rode the entire hill.  Then there was the bonus downhill through the neighborhood. This won’t be part of Irongirl but we were steered onto it by mistake.  There was so much gravel, I thought I was going to fall [I didn’t].  Walked the bike up this hill too. I enjoyed the Peachtree Industrial stretch. It was a nice break from the rolling hills.  The last memorable hill was the return to transition. I was totally unprepared and in my higher gears. I turned left only to find myself on a hill.  Downshifted and eventually made my way into transition.

For kicks Debbie and I went to check out the walk from the swim to the transition area.  Talk about steep. Whenever I exit the Lake, I’ll definitely walk or crawl to my bike.

Remember to keep moving forward..

No comments:

Post a Comment