Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Harbins Park Ride

This past Saturday, I had a fantastic ride with my friend Karen. She led me on an adventure around the hills of Harbins. I have to admit, being a bit nervous but that quickly faded when we started the ride. Karen made me feel quite comfortable. Given my prior rides with TNT, I’d had a chance to practice shifting in preparation for hill climbing. I had a general idea. Karen confirmed when to shift so that I could actually pedal up 99% of the hills.  I was even comfortable during the instances when she’d ride ahead and I’d find myself on the road alone.  I told myself, this is how it will be on the Irongirl course. You won’t have anyone beside you to chat with so get used to staying focused and watching the road for rocks.  Luckily, we completed the ride without being chased by dogs. However, did go through a patch of vultures.  I was so happy that they didn’t try to attack me.  I think they were preoccupied by breakfast. 


23 miles, including an awesome hill at mile 22.  As I saw it on the horizon, all I could do was laugh and think REALLY, KAREN? REALLY? But I downshifted and said to myself, count to 100 and you’ll be at the top of the hill.  I did that and at #100, I looked up to see Karen’s smiling face waiting to greet me with a cheer and high five. 

What a fabulous way to start the day!

1 comment:

  1. oh yeah! I had forgotten about the vultures :) Awesome riding, T!

    ReplyDelete