Sunday, June 17, 2012

Callaway Gardens Sprint Tri


This was my first time participating in CG.  I thought it would be fairly easy after back to back Lake Lanier tris.  It was, sort of.  My body was a bit tired but I decided to press through.  The 2 hour drive to Pine Mountain wasn’t too bad.  I had a chance to hang out with Danielle and JoJo on Saturday. It’s always nice to spend time with nice people. It didn't feel rushed or hurried. We actually had time to talk and enjoy each others company. 

Callaway was interesting in the fact that the swim is in 5 feet of water.  I couldn’t believe it and actually walked out to the buoy and it’s true. The water was this blue/green chemical treated color and very warm.  A bit different from the brown, cloudy later water. JoJo and I walked through the water to the swim start as our warm-up.  This was probably the most relaxed I’ve ever been at a tri.  We’d racked our bikes next to each other earlier and agreed to stay together during the swim.  During the earlier start waves, we saw people with snorkels and one person walked the entire distance.  He didn’t put his face in the water.  That made us feel like pros!  Friends who’ve known us a while will get a kick out of that.  J



So, the swim starts and we are off. Practicing our strokes and calmly we get to the end. Heading up to transition we decide to go our own way.  The transition allowed me to practice.  I rode with clips again and felt very comfortable. Funny this was one of the first times I’d participate in a race without having first ridden the course.  A number of young kids passed me and I smiled. I think it’s so cool that parents have children in these events at 10 yo and up.  The bike ride is over after 8+ miles.  I don’t think it was actually 10, I transition and am off on the run.  This has to be my least practiced and least favorite part of the tri.  I must do better in the future. 

It seemed so hot during the run. I kept reminding myself, it’s only 2 miles…you can do anything for 2 miles.  So off I went.  I have to admit it was nice rounding the corner and seeing the finish. However, I was a bit disappointed that we didn’t receive a medal.

Oh well, I’m thankful for the finish. We had fun and no one was injured. What more could you ask for?   

I must say that riding with clips and focusing on maintaining cadence and being in the correct gear going up hill resulted in some very achy quads.  For a couple days my legs were screaming at me.  I guess that how it feels when I do it right, huh? 

Keep moving forward…

No comments:

Post a Comment