Friday, June 29, 2012

Watching the Olympics

I’ve had a chance to watch some of the Olympic trials Track & Field and Swimming. It’s amazing how different the athletes and competition appear now that I’m a conscious runner and swimmer. What do I mean by conscious? This season, I’m making an active attempt to improve my form and technique. I’m paying attention to the things being done incorrectly and frequently looking for a way to improve.

Track & Field: I’m noticing the kick. Do you see the kick on some of the runners? My goodness, how do they do that?  Also with the metric mile, running that in less than 4 minutes and not looking winded. I can’t imagine. Just watched the Steeplechase and thought after the third or fourth lap, I probably would have fallen into one of the pools due to exhaustion.

Swim: ok look at those abs. I need to work on core strength. It’s nice to see some of the swimmers that have made the team for first time. Seeing the 16 and 17 year old swimmers is also nice. Amanda Weir just one her heat. She's been around forever. Those unitards are kind of funky but they are growing on me. How in the world do they swim so fast? Is it kick, pull, kick and pull? I found myself trying to count the number of strokes taken during the 50 m.

Watching Aaron Piersol swim the backstroke, I have a lot of work to do. :-)  He wasn't competing. Had a camera strapped to him so we could experience the race as he does. Ryan Lochte has a beautiful backstroke. Looks so efficient. I've gotta learn that dolphin kick.

These athletes make it look so easy but I know better.  I can only imagine how much time they spend training. Their families must be proud.

Keep dreaming and moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment