Sunday, June 10, 2012

My Next Tri

This past Saturday, I completed my next tri at lake lanier. This is the first time I've looked at a tri as a training, how much progress have you made outing. I'm working on my mental strength. This has proved to be more of a challenge than expected. The swim wasn't as easy as expected but a lot easier than Irongirl. I had butterflies while waiting on the shore and a couple times even found myself not wanting to start. But I did. I'm learning to push through. This was the first tri where I had to swim alone and push myself to keep going. No friends or coaches next to me to encourage and I pushed through. Honestly, it felt good to swim around yet another houseboat. I wish they wouldn't anchor them on race day. Swimming under a bridge, walk way for use by the temporary boat dock users. Listening to the crowd encourage me. It is true that people really do want you to succeed.

The 1/4 mile transition run/walk seemed doable. I didn't worry on stepping on anything or slipping. My sole focus was to get to transition as quickly as I could.  Upon arriving in transition, I found my bike [racked on the last rack] slipped on the necessary equipment and patiently walk/jogged the bike to the mount line. I clipped in and was on my way.  The transition is coming natural to me.  I guess the key is learning how to approach it and practice.

The bike ride went well. My primary focus was to have a good ride [first with clips] and try not to fall. The key I realized is being in the right gear, continuing to pedal, and keeping a watchful eye on the road and other cyclists. Sounds simple enough. About 3 miles away from transition, a car and other cyclists was in front of me.  I clipped out with my left foot and prepared to stop. Only then did I realize I was in the wrong gear for a hill, got a little disoriented tried to downshift while breaking and the next thing I knew, realized I was gonna fall. I should say tip over because that's what it seemed like. all I could do was unclip my right foot, lie back onto the grass a few seconds, laugh and then get up to continue.  I clipped back in and road the rest of the way in.

T2 was much easier. I removed the necessary gear, slipped on my shoes, and was on my way.

The run is becoming a feeling of, you've got this for me.  I guess at this point, I realize the hardest part is over.  I ran/walked the course and made it in. During the course I thought, this is the 3rd Lake Lanier run in as many months.  I'm not going to run Lake Lanier three times next year.  The downhill leading toward the finish was wonderful as always.  It was so nice to hear the announcer say my name and to receive the medal.

Crossing the finish line makes all the practice, early rising, anxiety and wondering how things will go worth it. It's a wonderful and addicting sense of accomplishment. I learned a few lessons and have some things to practice on.  Sunday, albeit tired, I found myself thinking of goals for the next 1, 3, 6 and 12 months. I'm hooked on trying to improve including riding and running with more advanced friends to improve.

I'm on the fence about Acworth. Funny, as much as I want to do it, I don't feel that I have to. If my swim is not up to speed, I won't register. I'll continue to practice, practice, practice until it's better. I think this is why I like triathlon, there is so much opportunity to improve.

Keep moving forward

No comments:

Post a Comment