Friday, October 26, 2012

LA Here I Come

I can’t believe it!  I’m actually registered for the Marathon. I’m so excited and nervous. I’m ready to take the next steps toward a stronger body and mind.  26.2 miles throughout my home town.

I’d been considering a 2013 full marathon for a few months. It’s the natural progression in my run journey.  Also, if I’m going to get to an Ironman [there I said it] I’ll need to run at least one full marathon.  Once I decided to commit and work hard, I learned that the LA marathon was in March.  This means great weather, motivation to run through Winter, and an opportunity to train with friends who are running the Shamrock.  Hopefully, the Atlanta hills and cool weather will give me some sort of advantage.

It can’t get much better than a marathon in my home town running through areas in which I’d had a number of pleasant experiences.  Doing the run at this point in my life,  I will view the city in a completely different way, I know it. I’ve not been to Dodger Stadium in what 10 -15 years?  After completing the registration, I’ve found myself humming ‘I Love LA, We love it!!’ by Randy Newman a few times.  Sunset Blvd, Beverly Hills, Century City, Westwood, and ending in Santa Monica at the beach. Can’t ask for better than that. Well, I could but will save that request for a later date.  

I’ve got a great group of experienced marathoner friends to train with and get advice from. As long as I train, this story should have a happy ending. 

I’m running the Silver Comet HM tomorrow. It’s flat and one of my favorites. It’s the reward for completing Athens. I’m going to use it as the official kickoff to marathon training.  I’m committed to sharing the experience on this blog.  Even if I have to spend my lunch hour typing entries (like today). My posts may help someone with something.  Who knows!

As always, keep moving forward…

No comments:

Post a Comment