Wednesday, October 10, 2012

People are wonderful gifts

Over the last few days, I’ve had opportunities to interact with ‘children’ of various ages including my own. I found myself marveling at how nice those interactions were.  Today, during a shower for a coworker, I had a chance to stand back and watch the pure joy children have. The laughter at being held upside down or playing peek a boo was nice to see.  They range in age from 2 – 8 and were in the moment, carefree and happy to be. 

On another occasion, while viewing photos, I was able to see the love and joy in the eyes of a big brother holding his few weeks old baby sister.  I thought what a blessing that is.  As I viewed photos of the nursery I thought how wonderful, this child is truly, truly loved. I could tell by the way she was held.  What a wonderful gift.

The last and best for me involved interaction with my own 20 year old daughter. She is finding her way in this world and I’m learning my role as a mother/friend.  For some reason, she has been trying to get to New York for a couple years. Well she is going in a few weeks and totally excited.  The mother in me remembered knowing another younger person who is a little older than my daughter. Someone who might serve as a big sister of sorts. I reached out to her and she gladly offered any assistance she could.  How nice of her to do that, I thought and appreciated. That made me feel a lot better about the trip.

Back to my interaction with my daughter, I’m running a race the Athens half in a couple weeks.  She lives in Athens so after deciding to have lunch or early dinner after packet pickup, I asked about the course.  She described a couple hills in the course to me including how comparable they were to those in our neighborhood.  I thought how cool is that to have my daughter provide a course scouting report.  It might seem like a small thing but I thought it nice.

Another step in our journey I guess.  Saying all that to say, people can be wonderful gifts to us. There are some not so nice folks out there but I choose to appreciate the gifts.

Keep moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment