Sunday, October 7, 2012

Where have I been?

It’s been a while since my last post. Almost 2 months to be exact. During this time, I’ve been getting over a disappointing run at the Alien HM and becoming more consistent with my USAFit runs.  I’ve also been preparing mentally and physically for the Athens and Silver Comet half marathons.  Athens is typically a bit hilly while Silver Comet is flat. I couldn’t ask for two better runs.  They are less than one week apart. I look at Silver Comet as a reward for Athens.  My goal is to improve my time on both races. I know for Athens that involves hill work, becoming more confident and stronger. To do this, I’ve added Pilates and track work to my training. In order to accommodate this change, I’ve backed off, a lot, swimming. I’m also taking a look at nutrition including how, what and why I eat the way I do.  I’ve been researching how Paleo, Vegetarian and Vegan diets affect endurance athletes.  Like so many things there isn’t a right or wrong answer. I’ll have to gather the information and determine which best suits me. Right now, I’m leaning toward vegetarian.  I’m not planning to go cold turkey but over the coming months will reduce meat, dairy and increased plant based meals.  I don’t think the impact of these changes will be visible at my October races but am hoping any results from this shift in eating will be evident starting with the races I run in November.

I’ve decided to add a full marathon to my list of 2013 goals.  I hope the changes being made now will bear fruit at that race. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes. Where have you been? Lol. Excited for your upcoming races - time to kick butt!

    ReplyDelete